Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Off to a retreat!

I'm headed off tomorrow for my annual polymer clay retreat at Mammoth Cave, Ky.  We always have such a great time and learn some fun new techniques.  And I love seeing all of the friends that I have made over the years.  This year we are having an "inchy" swap for the first time.  Everyone makes one inch squares of decorated clay and we will all swap them so that everyone will go home with some great little works of art.  We will have 36 in attendance and I made 42 so that I will have a few left over.
 I decided to use the  Mitered Crosses blanket as my inspiration.  I mixed a fall colored pallett and made three different blends so that I could make three different one inch canes for variety. 
Then I took slices and baked them.  

We also have a brown bag swap where you make something from polymer clay and then put it in a bag.  Everyone gets to pick a bag and see what kind of goody is inside.  I decided to knit something and add polymer clay buttons but I can't show what I made until after the retreat.  But I can show you the buttons.
I will have many more pictures from the retreat in my next post.

I have been knitting like crazy of course.  My daughter is playing on three different soccer teams at the moment and my son on one team so there is lots and lots of great knitting time while I watch and wait.  She is #16 in white on her middle school team in the picture above.  
While sitting at a rather cool game a few weeks ago, I decided that some wrist warmers without fingers would be nice.
So I used some of my first handdyed handspun to knit these great and easy wrist warmers called Toast.

I also knitted this very fun little cardigan called Bilateral Cardigan
It is made up of two hexagons which are folded and sewn up the back and along the shoulders.

After blocking the hexagons and then folding them, the arms stuck up so I reblocked into a better shape for a cardigan.
After all of this, it turned out a little too small for me so my cute little (but older) sister was happy to take it off of my hands.

The mystery Knitalongs have lured me into four more mystery knits - two from each designer.  Another She-Knits KAL for a shawl called Tuck with a surprise scarf named Oh Delilah that was thrown in as a bonus.
I have done several of She-Knits mystery KALs and they are always great fun.  For the second time, I am signed up for Woolly Wormheads mystery KAL for hat A and B.  The clues for the hats come out on Nov. 1 and I am travelling with my son's class to the Chattanooga Aquarium so I plan to take these two projects with me for the bus trip.  I've already bought my yummy yarns and swatched so I'm ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment